|Title:||Associate Professor of Pharmacology|
|Department:||Pharmaceutical & Admin. Sciences|
- International Society for Antiviral Research (ISAR)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Chemical Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Archive Committee Chair – ISAR
- Poster Judging Committee - ISAR
- DUSCI Faculty Advisory Board
- Faculty Development Committee
- National Alumni Scholarship Judge
- Faculty Advisor – Phi Delta Chi Up ‘Til Dawn
- Faculty Affairs Committee
Research Assistant, David W. Emerich, PhD., Department of Biochemistry, University of Missouri-Columbia;
August 1998-May 2000.
Examination of multi-phasic attachment of Bradyrhizobium japonicum to soybean root cells.
Graduate Student Research Assistant, Donna S. Shewach, PhD., Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor; January 2001-March 2006.
Improving HSV-TK/GCV gene therapy through pharmacological modulation of the bystander effect.
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, John C. Drach, PhD., Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor; April 2006-Present.
Elucidation of the mechanism of action for benzimidazole D-ribonucleotides & second generation methylenecyclopropane guanine analogs against HCMV. Design of Vidarabine prodrug that result in inhibition of parent compound metabolism and increased uptake in vivo
Gentry BG, Kamil JP, Coen DM, Zemlicka J, Drach JC. Stereoselective Phosphorylation of Cyclopropavir by pUL97 and Competitive Inhibition by Maribavir. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 54(8): 3093-3098 (2010).
Gentry BG, Gentry SN, Jackson TL, Zemlicka J, Drach JC. Phosphorylation of Antiviral and Endogenous Nucleotides to Di- and Triphosphates by Guanosine Monophosphate Kinase. Biochemical Pharmacology 81: 43-49 (2011).
Gentry BG, Vollmer LE, Hall ED, Borysko KZ, Kamil JP, Drach JC. Resistance of Human Cytomegalovirus to Cyclopropavir Maps to a Base Pair Deletion in the Open Reading Frame of UL97. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 57(9): 4343-4348 (2013).
Gentry BG, Drach JC. Metabolism of Cyclopropavir and Ganciclovir in Human Cytomegalovirus Infected Cells. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 58(4): 2329-2333 (2014).
Gentry BG, Phan Q, Breitenbach JM, Borysko KZ, Townsend LB, Drach JC. Human Cytomegalovirus Resistance to the Deoxyribosylindole Nucleosides Maps to a Point Mutation in the Terminase Subunit Encoded Gene UL89. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy – accepted with modifications (July 2014)
HONORS AND ACTIVITIES:
- 1st Place Missouri Academy of Science Award for Research, Collegiate Level, Cellular and Molecular Biology Division – April 2000
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program – September 2001 to August 2003
- Marian Kim Travel Award – Spring 2002
- Student Representative for 10th Annual Pharmacological Sciences Poster Day: Joint Session between the University of Michigan Medical Center and Pfizer Global Research and Development Laboratories in Ann Arbor – Summer 2004
- 2nd Place International Society for Antiviral Research Poster Award, Post Doctoral Level – May 2009
- CPHS Mentor of the Year, 2014
My research focuses on the development of novel, experimental therapeutics that can potentially be used for the treatment of systemic human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) infections. Current efforts are focused on the development of a multi-drug regimen for the treatment of HCMV, determining the extent of in vivo metabolism for these drugs, and elucidating the molecular mechanism of action for each of these compounds. Preliminary results indicate a good pharmacokinetic profile and a unique mechanism of action making these compounds ideal candidates for further development.
Currently Accepting Student Researchers? Yes